Round Rock

Downtown Round RockEstablished 1854

Round Rock, originally called Brushy Creek. The name was changed in 1854 at the request of postal authorities when Thomas C. Oatts, the first postmaster of Brushy Creek (1851) was asked to submit another name. Recalling his pleasant hours of fishing with Jacob M. Harrell on the large roundish (anvil-shaped) rock in Brushy Creek south of the village, he suggested Round Rock. Postal records show that "late 'Brushy Creek' " was changed to Round Rock on August 24, 1854, Thomas C. Oatts, postmaster. His successors were Robert J. Hill (1860), George W Davis (1860), Miss Jordena A. Davis (1865), W Davis (1866), John Rowland (1867), Finas A. Stone (1874), August B. Palm (1876), Holman T. Ham (1877), August B. Palm (1877). At this point, "new" Round Rock developed with the coming of the railroad. A post office was established there for "Round Rock" and the old office was continued under the name "Old Round Rock" from 1879 until 1891. Postmasters in "new" town succeeding August B. Palm were Joseph J. Boone (1880), John T. Haynes (1881), Mrs. Kate F. Martin (1885), Edward E Diggs (1889), Joseph H. Holt (1893), Robert R. Hyland (1897), John A. Hyland (1911), Steve B. Wright (1916), Merrell M. Jester (1919), Frank L. Aten (1922), John W Ledbetter (1932), Robert E Johnson (1943), Martin E Parker (1965). Postmasters at Old Round Rock were Livingston M. Mays (1879), Dora Aten (1889) and Miss Alice Mays (1891). The office was transferred to Round Rock's newer office on December 16, 1891.

Bibliography

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sunday Publishers, 1973, Fifth printing, 1998).

Download the Otto "Winzell" Sauls, named as a 2019 Local Legend by the Round Rock Historic Preservation Commission (PDF)

Photo caption: Round Rock Downtown - Photo Courtesy Nancy Bell March 2017