Liberty Hill

Stubblefield Building in Liberty HillLiberty Hill, early settlement. The town developed many years before a railroad came. Postmasters were W O. Spencer (1853), George W Logan (1855), William O. Spencer (1856), George W Barnes (1860), Squire S Jackson (1861), Mrs. L. Jackson (1866), Samuel Ellington (1867), Wilson R. Bratton (1870), Robert N Renick (1875), James H. Booty (1879), James G. Ward (1880), James K. Lane (1887), G. W Hewitt (1890), J.M. Pool (1890, declined), Julia Lane (1891), Joseph B. Hutchison (1892), Lulu Grant (1893), James W Connell (1895), Henry H. Thorpe (1899), John W Thorpe (1902), Wilson B. Russell (1915), Jim H. McFarlin (1924), Carl A. Shipp (1934), Clyde W Barrington (1964). Liberty Hill Masonic Lodge was chartered in 1875; the town had a number of active churches, some of them surviving for a century; also the Liberty Normal and Business College, newspapers, numerous small businesses, quarries, gins, a Grange store, a Farmers Union organization, an eight-piece community orchestra after World War I. About 1920 ingenious Arnold Evansted improvised a camera from a five gallon lard can and took many pictures in the community with it. He was handy with tools, had run a mill at Georgetown. When the 1921 flood demolished the Old Settlers Association grounds in San Gabriel Park at Georgetown, Liberty Hill hosted the Association in July 1922.

Liberty Hill in 1998 had a population of approximately 5,000. New businesses since 1970 include two newspapers, The Liberty Hill Independent and the Shin Oak Reporter, one bank, one printer, six restaurants, two cabinetmakers, two groceries, two florists, a pharmacy, six convenience/gas stores and about fifty other businesses now operating.

The city has two parks, the Foundation Park with picnic area, hiking trail, two Little League Softball fields, a concession stand, and a stage area; also the International Sculpture Park. The Sculpture Park is at Liberty Hill High School. It is the only Sculpture Park of its kind in the world. In 1976 a group of artists from around the world came to Liberty Hill, stayed with local families throughout the summer, and created their sculptures that are now displayed on the high school campus.

A new post office has been built, five times larger than the old post office. There is also a Theater Guild, an Art Guild, two Chambers of Commerce, a very active Garden Club, and an active Lions Club. This community has eight churches. Over the Hill Gang organized in the spring of 1998, a successful active senior citizen group holding its meeting in the former Williamson County Annex building. The growth of Liberty Hill has been explosive in the past two decades.

Bibliography

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sunday Publishers, 1973, Fifth printing, 1998).

Photo caption: Stubblefield Building in Liberty Hill - Photo Courtesy Nancy Bell March 2017