Jollyville, village founded 1866 and named for pioneer John Grey Jolly, a blacksmith who had settled at Fiskville near Austin in 1852. By 1867, both Jolly and the Dodd brothers had stores at Jollyville along with Jolly's blacksmith shop. The Dodds moved to a place called Doddville (see) or Buttercup. Jolly gave land for an early school, also used as a church, and for a cemetery. A new school was built in 1878. Other merchants were Mate Walton, J.M. Forbes, N N Turner (saddlery), "Uncle Mack" Hays. Drs. Harrell and Webber were often called from Round Rock for serious medical problems, but a local phrenologist, "Old Doc" Cunningham, an Englishman who rode a donkey-drawn gig, often substituted for the village doctor. Other families who came there early were John Paisley Glenn, James N Hamilton, W C. Reager, A. J. Thorp, Byron Jenkins, J. C. Auglin, Elizabeth Shannon and J. H. Crawsin. Because of their proximity to old Pond Springs and the moving of the Pond Springs School to the south, Jollyville and Pond Springs are sometimes thought to be the same community. They were not in the nineteenth century, but had separate identities. Both are located in the area known as Live Oak Prairie.
Jollyville had a population of 20,384 in 1998. About 1970, Jollyville schools consolidated with Round Rock, and after urban development began in the area it also consolidated with Pond Spring schools. Actually, Jollyville essentially "slashed Pond Spring" as one resident of the community described it, and Jollyville schools will soon annex Anderson Mill. Jollyville has eight elementary schools, three middle schools, one high school, with a school enrollment of about 20,000. Classes are also held from Southwest Texas State University, St. Edwards University, and Concordia. They are held at Westwood School. The Lakeline Mall in the Old Pond Spring area is a busy retail center, and major businesses in Jollyville are State Farm Insurance, Selectron, and Motorola. The community has a country club, eight banks, one regional bank, and four large automobile dealerships. Jollyville has two large golf courses and a large library. It uses Seton Northwest for major and minor medical needs, has six large clinics, and two major retirement centers.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sunday Publishers, 1973, Fifth printing, 1998).
Photo caption: Jollyville Community and School Photo Courtesy Nancy Bell January 2019