Granger

Brick Streets in GrangerGranger, named for local Grange lodge, or for John R. Granger, a Civil War veteran; Czech protestant church organized there 1880; railroad built there 1882. Postmasters were Colonel M. Jones (April 15, 1884), John M. Strayhorn (1886), Malcolm H. Addison (1889), John Brazelton (1889), J. T. Spilman (1890), Wilford W McDaniel (1890), William C. Erwin (1893), Andrew J. Reeder (1897), J. C. Council (1909), William E Thies (1914), Joseph C. Council (1923), John C. Duffy (1928), Cullen E Wayman (1929), Anton C. Mussil (1935), Arnold A. Spacek (1947), Emil J. Bartosh (1949).

Population for Granger in 1998 was 1,346. The city operates one city park, and the Granger Lake is another nearby facility. An annual attraction is the Granger Fest, which brings numerous visitors to town. One major employer is the Granger Independent School District, with a $2,752 [sic] budget with 58 employees. The town has one private school and an elementary, a middle/junior high, and one high school. There are two school libraries. One medical doctor practices in Granger, and there are two health care facilities, the Bluebonnet Nursing Home, which employs 51 workers, and Oakwood Personal Care, which has 20 employees. Granger has five churches: Baptist, Catholic, church of Christ, Czech Brethren, and Methodist. The community has two weekly newspapers.

Bibliography

Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sunday Publishers, 1973, Fifth printing, 1998).

Photo caption: Brick Streets in Granger - Photo Courtesy Williamson Museum