Trailer Guide Cover Opens in new windowShopmade / Homemade Trailers

All shopmade/homemade and farm trailers must have an identification number assigned. Please print our Homemade/Shopmade Trailer Guide (PDF) for more information. Requirements may vary based on the transaction.

Exemption for Motor Vehicles Sales Tax

Beginning January 1, 2012, a person claiming an exemption from motor vehicle sales tax and limited sales tax on the purchase of certain items used in the production of agricultural and timber products will be required to have a Texas Agriculture and Timber Exemption Registration Number (Ag/Timber Number). This will not be their social security number. Farmers can apply for their 11-digit farm registration number at:

Apply or obtain a copy of the AG/Timber permit.

Farm License Plates

Effective September 1, 2013, an application for farm license plates, renewal of existing farm license plates, and application for excess weight permits for farm motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers requires the applicant to present proof of a Texas Agricultural and Timber Exemption Registration Number.

Apply or obtain a copy of the AG/Timber permit.

Additional Information

View the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles - Trailer page for more information.

  • If you need law enforcement to inspect your trailer VIN and/or issue a 68A form, access the 68-A Vehicle Inspections page for more information.
  • For information regarding required documentation, fees, and trailers with a gross weight exceeding 4,000 pounds, contact our office at 512-943-1601.

Please note: All transactions require original signed documents. Faxed, scanned, or emailed copies are not acceptable and signatures must be in ink. Information is based on actual owner transactions.