Volunteer Deputy Registrar
Active VDRs in WilCo
- Last updated September 15th, 2023
- Term: January 1, 2023 - December 31, 2024
All current VDR Certificates of Appointment expire on December 31, 2024.
- Upcoming in-person classes:
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 4pm
- Tuesday, October 3, 2023, 6pm
- Upcoming online classes:
- Tuesday, November 14, 2023, 4pm
- Tuesday, November 21, 2023, 4pm
Volunteer Deputy Registrar (VDR)
All current VDR Certificates of Appointment will expire on December 31, 2024.
Volunteer Deputy Registrars help register eligible citizens to vote by distributing, reviewing, and accepting completed voter registration applications. They are appointed by county voter registrars and charged with helping increase voter registration in the state.
You can be appointed as a VDR either by attending a training class given by a county elections department or by reciprocal VDR certification if you have previously been appointed as a VDR in another county.
VDR classes in Williamson County will be conducted the first, second, and third Tuesday of the month at 4:00pm. One evening class at 6:00pm will be conducted the first Tuesday of each month. A Saturday class at 10:00am will be offered quarterly. This schedule is subject to change. Our website and scheduling app will list future class dates.
Training classes are either in-person or online. Online classes will be held using the Webex app.
In-person classes are at the Elections Department, 301 SE Inner Loop, Georgetown, TX 78626.
- Classes are approximately 45 minutes
- In-person classes have a capacity of 30 participants
- You may not accept a registration application until you have received your Certificate of Appointment from our office
- No training classes will be conducted during the Early Voting period or on Election Day
Please use our online enrollment app to reserve a space in a class. You must enroll in a class at least 24 hours prior to the class start time. (Classes may be canceled if fewer than 4 people are enrolled.)
You can request reciprocal certification in-person at the Elections Dept office or online via email. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions below for details.
If you have questions, email [email protected] or call (512) 943-1630.
For information about using the Webex online meeting app, please use this link:
JOIN A WEBEX MEETING
Qualifications to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar:
To be appointed, an individual must be:
- At least 18 years old
- A United States Citizen
- A Texas resident
An individual must not have been:
- Determined by a final judgment of the court to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially incapacitated without the right to vote
- Finally convicted of a felony, or, if convicted, must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole or supervision, or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote
- Finally convicted of identity theft under Section 32.51 of the Penal Code
- Convicted of failing to deliver a voter registration application to a voter registrar
The complete Texas Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide can be viewed here Version OptionsVolunteer Deputy RegistrarHeadline.
- Can I hand out voter registration applications without being deputized?
- As a Williamson County Volunteer Deputy Registrar can I accept applications for voters living in other counties?
- What if someone submits an application but is already registered to vote?
- May I photocopy the applications that I accept?
- Can I designate someone to return voter registrations applications in my place?
- Is there a minimum age to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
- What happens if I fail to deliver completed applications on time?
- As a Volunteer Deputy Registrar can I appoint others to be Volunteer Deputy Registrars?
- I am a candidate. Am I eligible to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
- Is it possible to become a statewide Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
- I am currently a Volunteer Deputy Registrar in another county, how can I use reciprocity to become a Williamson County Volunteer Deputy Registrar?